General Submission Guidelines
We are currently CLOSED for unsoliticted submissions except for anthology submissions, orphaned works, submissions to one of our imprints, and submissions from previously contracted authors.
Storm Moon Press is a small press specializing in erotic fiction with an emphasis on romance involving QUILTBAG (Queer/Questioning, Intersexed, Lesbian, Trans*, Bisexual, Asexual, Gay) and alternative lifestyle characters and themes. We publish all genres, including fantasy, paranormal, horror, urban fantasy, and science fiction, but submissions must have either a core romantic plot or a reasonable amount of erotic content. Romances must be fully realized, though happy endings are not required. Solid stories with mixed-feelings endings are welcome, as well as the happily-ever-after or happily-for-now. Alternative lifestyles include (but are not limited to) BDSM, ménage à trois, polyamory, and all flavors and variations thereof. If you submit a bisexual romance, the bisexuality must be clearly shown within the course of the story.
We also accept heterosexual romances, QUILTBAG literary fiction, and QUILTBAG young adult fiction through our imprints.
We are currently CLOSED for unsolicited submissions except for:
- short story submissions to open anthology calls
- orphaned works whose rights have been returned
- submissions to one of our imprints: Budding Moon, Thunder Moon, or Wild Moon
- submissions from previously contracted authors
All works submitted to Storm Moon Press must be unreleased works. We are only interested in acquiring exclusive first English language rights. This means if a work has been self-published, published by a subsidy press, on a website, journal, or other public forum, those rights have already been used and we cannot accept your submission.
Authors can download our author packet and read it over for detailed information about submitting and being accepted by Storm Moon Press. (Updated January 2012)
We accept submissions for:
- Short stories (5,000 to 19,999 words)
- Novellas (20,000 to 49,999 words)
- Novels (50,000 to 100,000 words)
Short story submissions are limited to anthology lines and themed releases only, no exceptions, and will only be available in e-book formats. Novella submissions will only be available in e-book formats. Should a single author submit and have accepted multiple short stories or novellas with a common theme, we may offer a print contract for a single author anthology.
Novel submissions of 65,000 words or more will be available in e-book and print formats.
We accept submissions for the following genres:
- Science Fiction
- Urban Fantasy
- Speculative Fiction
- Young Adult
Material that includes the following will be summarily rejected:
- Pedophilia (sex involving one or more persons under the age of 18 with an adult)
- Necrophilia (sex with dead bodies -- vampires, zombies, and the like don't count)
- Bestiality (sex with non-sentient animals or shifters in full animal form)
- Scat or golden showers (sex involving urine or feces play)
- Gratuitous violence (including splatterpunk, slasher, and torture-porn)
- Rape intended to arouse (though we will consider forced seduction or dubious consent if it is respectfully handled)
- Snuff (sex during which one or more persons are killed)
Storm Moon Press has three imprints we are seeking to acquire submissions for. Wild Moon Books is our heterosexual imprint for heterosexual erotica, erotic romance, and romance titles. Thunder Moon is our literary imprint for all non-erotic works that fall into the QUILTBAG spectrum. Budding Moon is our young adult line that caters to all young adult titles that explore QUILTBAG themes and characters.
Royalties and Contracts
Storm Moon Press offers a variety of royalty structures and contract terms depending on the needs of the author. Contracts are negotiable, and they are available for review upon acceptance. However, the most common is as follows:
Royalties on e-books will be 40% of cover price on direct sales through Storm Moon Press' e-store, and 30% of cover price minus distribution costs for sales through third party vendors, paid quarterly. Royalties on print books will be 20% of cover price on direct sales through Storm Moon Press' e-store, and 15% of cover price minus distribution costs for sales through third party vendors, paid quarterly.
Our contracts are for four (4) years for print and electronic rights. When the contract is set to expire, the author has the option of renewing the contract. Should the contract not be renewed, all rights revert.
Royalties from third party vendors will not be paid until Storm Moon Press receives the receipts from those vendors.
Storm Moon Press will decide the cover price for both print volumes and e-books. Authors also receive a PDF copy of their book as well as five (5) print copies when available. Copyright remains with the author.
Authors previously published by us or who can demonstrate solid past sales will also be eligible for advances.
How To Submit
Submissions must be sent electronically, through email. Please do not send hard copies of manuscripts to our place of business as we will not return them, nor will they be reviewed. The only thing we do via the traditional mail system is our contracts. Send all queries to submissions @ stormmoonpress.com.
Within the body of your email should be your query letter. We ask that it be relatively short (no more than 300 words). This should include information about you, the author, as well as the work you are submitting, genre, and word count of your manuscript.
When sending your query letter, please include as two separate attachments to the one query email the full synopsis of your manuscript (which should include the beginning, middle, and ending of your story) and the first 30% of the manuscript. Your synopsis must be no fewer than 500 words, and there is no upper limit. Storm Moon Press only considers manuscripts that are complete. Please do not send an incomplete manuscript.
Storm Press will only consider your query if the work is complete, however we initially only want to see the first 30%. We will review your query, your synopsis, and your partial submission, and if it looks to be the right fit for Storm Moon Press, we will ask for the full manuscript then.
When submitting your files, please ensure they are named as follows: TITLE_AUTHORNAME and SYNOPSIS_TITLE_AUTHORNAME. We are sticklers for organization and this will ensure your files do not become lost in the shuffle.
- Send submissions to submissions @ stormmoonpress.com (remove the spaces when surrounding the @ sign when emailing us)
- Email subject should read: IMPRINT - SUBMISSION TITLE - AUTHOR NAME
- Cover page of your synopsis should include the following: working title, word count, genre, series name (if applicable), author's legal name, author's pen name (if applicable), address, phone number, and e-mail
- Submissions must be sent as a RTF attachment, the file names TITLE_AUTHORNAME and SYNOPSIS_TITLE_AUTHORNAME
- Author name and book title on the first page of the manuscript
- Double spaced, 12 point font, Times New Roman, 1" margins, do not indent your paragraphs
- Do insert a blank line between paragraphs and use ### or *** between scene breaks
- Page break before all new chapters
When we ask for the IMPRINT, we mean authors need to say whether they are submitting to STORM MOON, WILD MOON, BUDDING MOON, or THUNDER MOON.
Again, please only contact us about completed manuscripts that have been polished to the very best of your ability. We will respond to your query within 24 hours of receipt simply to confirm we have received it. Allow six to eight (6-8) weeks for us to contact you about either sending a full manuscript submission or our passing on your query.
Should we ask for a full manuscript to review, allow twelve (12) to fourteen (14) weeks for a personal reply.
If you have any questions, feel free to email us at editor @ stormmoonpress.com or look over our FAQ Section.